Thursday, February 12, 2009

To: Greg From: donotreply@warner.senate.gov

What does it mean when your Senator writes to you from a "donotreply" e-mail address? Do you think maybe it means "DO NOT REPLY"? Well that is the message that I get. "Thank you for expressing your opinion. Now, please take your puny little ideas and go away."

I wrote to the Senator that was chosen for me recently. (That is my attempt to avoid calling him "my" Senator!) I told him that I was concerned about the Economic Stimulus plan and that I was particularly concerned about a specific clause in the miniscule print that said NONE of the money from the stimulus package could be used on buildings that were used significantly for "sectarian education". Religious ideas are no longer allowed in the public arena.

I would counsel ANY Christian institution to NOT accept the government's money. However, this didn't apply only to religious institutions. It applied to ANY building on ANY campus that receives money from the stimulus package, if that building is used often for "sectarian education". Enough said about that. What bugs me is Mr. Mark Warner's reply.

In the second paragraph of the response, I was informed that:
On February 10, 2009, I joined a majority of the Senate in approving a bipartisan compromise to restart the economy through a responsible mix of tax cuts and investments that will create jobs.
Did you notice that little "bipartisan" word nestled comfortably in that sentence?! What does HE think bi-partisan means? The compromise agreement narrowly passed, with only three Republicans signing on to the plan. There were a good number who were crying foul that they weren't allowed to be involved in hashing out the details of the compromise since they weren't in the right party.

Well, I suppose Mr. Warner did the right thing to use a "donotreply" address when he wrote to me. I doubt he wants to hear what I have to say. I doubt that he even cares.

I wrote to him to express my concern of the Economic Stimulus Plan and he drops a bombshell near the end of his e-mail. It says:
The Recovery and Reinvestment Act is but one component of a three-part plan to restore our economy. We still have important work to do to address the foreclosure crisis and shore-up the real estate market and we also must take steps to repair our banking system so that credit will begin flowing again to consumers and small businesses.

Again, thank you for your input. As we move forward in the 111th
Congress, please continue to be in touch with your opinions and concerns.
What?! You want to apply your sovereign expertise in those areas too? I am not surprised, but I am a bit shell-shocked. ...and sticker-shocked! What will this end up costing me in the end?

I like the closing: "...continue to be in touch..."

But DO NOT REPLY!

I get the message, Mr. Warner.

No comments: