Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Gallup Poll of Assigned Opinion

Have you ever answered an official opinion poll? We got a call a couple of days ago from the Gallup Association -- famous for their polls of public opinion. I have been able to take part in several opinion polls from various organizations through the years. They usually ask several questions that are "throwaway" questions, for the purpose of preparing you to answer the way that is desired. I always enjoy having the opportunity to "skew" the number a bit with my strange take on things. I am convinced that most surveys come to the very conclusions they set out to prove. This one was no different.

When they called, they said that they needed to interview the person in the household with the most recent birthday. They said the survey was about healthcare and a little about politics. Brenda's birthday is 7 days after mine so I couldn't do the survey. Hmph!

Well, Brenda took the survey. There were lots of topics covered, but when she was done I asked her what the real question was. She wasn't sure, but I had noticed she was frustrated with the multiple choice answers to one of the questions. I asked her what that question was. She said it was, "How important do you rate the economic stimulus package?" She was frustrated because she wanted to say, "I don't think it is the right thing to do!" but the closest option was, "Important, but not urgent." BINGO. I think that was the core question.

The Gallup Association is widely respected. Their polls are quoted as valid measures of the opinion of the public. However, they are carefully worded, multiple choice options at best. At worst, they manipulatively "corral" you into the answers they want to show up on the poll results! If you really want to know my opinion about the Economic Stimulus Package that my hopelessly in debt Federal Government wants to send me the $800 billion+ bill for, then -- for goodness sake -- give me the option to speak my opinion!

Hey, anybody want to do an opinion poll about the quality of opinion polls? Pick me! Pick me!

No comments: