Sunday, February 22, 2009

Equal time for the opposition

Well...I wrote a post earlier about Senator Mark Warner's response to a letter I wrote, so I should allow equal time for the opposition, right?? I had written to Eric Cantor, my Representative at the same time. His response took longer to arrive. There is a reason for that.

On both of the matters that I wrote about, Senator Warner wrote back to me, implying that we were diametrically opposed on the issues at hand, but he really valued my opinion. One letter "preached" to me a bit about compromise. I was not impressed.

Eric Cantor, on the other hand, wrote a real, old-fashioned, do-you-remember-when-back-in-the-good-ole-days PAPER and thanked me for expressing my opinion. On both accounts, he expressed views that aligned with my thinking. (And that makes him correct, RIGHT?!) On both accounts, he assured me that he would do all he could to see that inappropriate laws would not be passed.

When Senator Warner wrote to me, I felt like I was being lectured to about why I should take a different stand, and that he didn't really read what I wrote, but that he appreciated my opinions nonetheless. When Rep. Cantor wrote to me, I had the sense that he actually paid attention to my view and responded to the things I had written.

Phew, I am glad I voted the way I did! :-)

No comments: