Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What does partnership look like?


(This post is the text of an e-mail we sent to our distribution list earlier today...)

We have enjoyed the beauty of snow for the last couple of days, and Evan has worn a path down the hills in our yard with his sled. Smoky, our little black puppy has romped, and played and bitten all the snow he can get his teeth on. I have spent some time meditating on just what it means for our sins, as red as crimson to be as WHITE as snow! Wow. God is good!

I often think that a lot of people have a difficult time putting an image to the things that I say I do in my role as a “Church Partnerships Advocate”. My team has boiled it down to a phrase that might help: “Cultivating partnership to reach forgotten peoples” but for some that would be equally ethereal. I have decided to write some anecdotes as they happen, to help you get an insight into what it is that God is doing through my ministry here.

Last week, I had lunch with a missions pastor from a church in Northern Virginia. We had met some months ago at a conference in Maryland, and he had expressed some frustration with the “partnership” that we had with his church. He said, “We talk about partnership, but I don’t even feel like we have a relationship!” at one point. I agreed, and we both heaped the blame on ourselves. I decided I was going to do what I could to make the relationship a reality.

I called and left a voice message. I e-mailed several times. I called again. I looked up another e-mail address on his church’s website. It took some perseverance to get this relationship “jump-started”. Finally, he wrote back. I told him that I would like to drive up and have lunch with him when it was possible. He suggested a date, which turned out to be last Thursday.

We met and had a nice lunch as we got to know each other. At some point in our conversation, I said that before I left that day, I would really like to hear his image of what our partnership should look like. Our conversation quickly turned to the 2 missionary couples they have in Central Asia that have been sent from their church. Then it narrowed in focus to his concern for the wellbeing of one of the couples. He felt that the church hadn’t done a sufficient job of caring for them in recent days.

Interestingly, I had talked to our Member Care Director several months ago about that very couple. She was concerned that we needed to do more in caring for some special needs they had. I was able to share with this missions pastor, how we shared his concerns. We made a plan to meet to discuss the needs with me, the Member Care Director and him around the table together to formulate a plan to do a better job from all sides to care more fully for this family.

I felt tingles up and down my spine as I felt like I was seeing God’s care for this family unfolding before my eyes. He was using me. He was using this pastor and their church. He was going to use Pioneers as well. I found myself thinking, “Now THIS is what partnership should look like.” This church probably doesn’t have all that much expertise in caring for their people in Central Asia. But they are the body that God used to send this family to that place. They have a role to play. We each have a role to play.

I believe that, but for this kind of care – from all who have such a role in their lives – this family would have to cut their time in Central Asia short because of some of the issues they are facing. (Their issues are not marital, moral…etc…more to do with ministry transition and educational issues.) However, given a concerted effort to help them walk this stretch of road, I believe they will continue to serve faithfully for years to come.

Please pray for our meeting next month, that we will understand the best way to care for this family so they can have a fruitful ministry for years to come in Central Asia! …and pray for me that I will see more opportunities to develop relationships that will have this kind of impact…for the sake of unreached people!

No comments: