Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Kinship Project


I just finished a kinship project for my Anthropology class. I was to chart my family back at least to my great granparents. Since genealogy is a hobby of mine, it wasn't so much work to come up with the data to work with. The hard part was working within the space constraints that I was allowed. I had to fit the whole chart on a single 81/2 X 11 sheet of paper.
Now...for the clincher. I had never counted the number of my first cousins before. When I finished the chart, I counted the cousins and came up with 53! That is just my 1st Cousins! No wonder it was so hard to fit them all on the page.
Is 53 cousins a lot of cousins? How many do you have?

3 comments:

Pasha said...

Wow Greg, that is very impressive, I thought I was doing really well at 21. Melody has 19 cousins. Are you half Mennonite or something?

Pasha said...

P.S Greg, where did you find an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper from in Australia? Are they gracious enough to let you do it on A4 (which is slightly bigger!) ?

fletchboy said...

Well...I can't take much credit for the number of cousins I have. :-) My father was one of 11 siblings, and my mother was one of 7. With 18 aunts and uncles, it is easy to have LOTS of cousins. Some didn't have any kids, or it would have been MORE cousins!

I do all my assignments electronically, so it doesn't matter that much if it is A4 or LTR. I probably could have gotten away with A4. I doubt that they print it to check it. BTW, I got an A+. I told them I should get extra credit for fitting the cousins on the page! :-D